Colin lost his wife unexpectedly. He was struggling to come to terms with the loss of his wife and was finding it difficult to manage his money.
Colin’s wife had always managed their budget, and he is now struggling to keep up with all of his bills and financial commitments.
Colin felt overwhelmed by the situation, and stopped opening letters and statements. His daughter noticed that Colin was letting the post pile up, and she was worried about the strain her dad was under.
Colin confided in his daughter that he was having difficulties dealing with the finances. Colin’s daughter was unable to help financially but she convinced Colin to call Capquest.
How we helped
- We listened to Colin as he explained his situation. We understood that it was a very difficult time for Colin and we showed empathy to his situation.
- We worked with Colin to understand his financial situation in detail.
- We agreed a payment plan to pay off his Capquest debt. We ensured the monthly payments were affordable and sustainable.
- We advised Colin of third party companies that could also help for free.
- We ensured Colin had all the details he needed to contact us in the future. We also made him aware of the online portal that he can access and use whenever he wants if he doesn’t feel like speaking to someone.
Other ways you can get help
- StepChange is a debt charity, helping almost 600,000 people a year to resolve their debt problems. They are the UK’s largest provider of free independent advice and solutions.
- NHS Livewell offers help and support for coping with bereavement. Bereavement affects people in different ways. There's no right or wrong way to feel. It is important to know you are not alone.